A campaign commemorating Florida's diverse cities.
Brought to you by the Florida League of Cities.
Apalachicola and Franklin County were prosperous in 1860. Situated at the mouth of the Apalachicola River and originally sustained by river traffic, Apalachicola was called Cottonton (or Cotton Town ) in the early 1800s, and then renamed West Point in 1828. Apalachicola was officially named in 1831. According to some authorities, ” Apalachicola ” is a Hitchiti Indian word, which means simply, “the people on the other side.” However, apalachi is a Choctaw word signifying “allies.” The settlement of the present site of the town dates back to the times of the Creek Indians and, since it is located at the tip of a considerable peninsula just west of the mouth of a river, the first version explains how the word might have become the designation of those who lived there. It later was applied to the river and the bay into which it empties. Of strategic military importance to both the North and the South during the Civil War, Apalachicola ‘s economy was adversely affected by the rebuilding and further development of the railroad after the war. It was in the 1920s that the commercial oyster cultivation was begun. Apalachicola grew up almost like an island, with the river on the north, the bay on the east and the Gulf to the south. Then, on November 11, 1935 , the Dr. John Gorrie Memorial Bridge was opened and dedicated. It opened the span of Florida ‘s West Coast Scenic Highway, U.S. 98. Apalachicola is the county seat