A campaign commemorating Florida's diverse cities.
Brought to you by the Florida League of Cities.
The City of Edgewood is a residential community, located in the heart of the Orlando urban area (about three miles south of downtown Orlando), along the shores of some of Central Florida’s most beautiful lakes—Conway, Gatlin, Jennie Jewel, Jessamine and Mary. The origins of Edgewood can be traced back to 1881 when the South Florida Railroad constructed a line from Orlando to Tampa passing through the area. Construction of a road parallel to the railroad in 1916, now known as Orange Avenue, opened the area for industrial development related to the railroad, residences, and support services. Unprecedented growth occurred during the early 1920s resulting in a decision to incorporate. Between 1924 and 1925, the families and community leaders living in the area divided the community leading to the formation of three separate towns: Edgewood, Pine Castle and Belle Isle.
Specifically, on April 24, 1924, the Town of Edgewood was founded. The Town’s formal charter was submitted to the State in 1969. That same year, property on Larue Avenue was purchased and a town hall was built. In 1973, because of the population growth, the town officially became the City of Edgewood.
Today, surrounded on all sides by urban areas, the railroad now plays a much smaller role in contributing to Edgewood’s economic livelihood. The City is primarily a residential neighborhood of the larger urban area. The neighborhood is home to approximately 2,100 residents, and is characterized by features such as lakefront homes, homes set back from the road, and narrow streets graced with magnificent oak trees with lush tree canopies lending a quiet elegance to the area.Orange Avenue continues to be the main street, lined with more than 350 retail, commercial, and industrial businesses.
In 1920, the City of Pine Castle consisted of an area stretching from the southern city limits of Orlando to Taft, and from Oak Ridge to Conway. It included what are now the cities of Edgewood and Belle Isle. Between April 1924 and Feburary 1925, three separate towns and charters were formed for Edgewood, Belle Isle and Pine Castle. Specifically, on April 24, 1924, the Town of Edgewood was founded. The Town's formal charter was submitted to the State in 1969. That same year, property on Larue Avenue was purchased and a town hall was built. In 1973, because of the population growth, the town officially became the City of Edgewood.