History Happened Here

A campaign commemorating Florida's diverse cities.
Brought to you by the Florida League of Cities.


Greenville

Madison County

Year Founded: 1907

History

A town was first established here in 1850 and its post office was given the name of Sandy Ford. But during the Civil War, the place was given the name of “Station Five,” because it was the fifth station from the capital. A women’s sewing circle was organized here to sew for the soldiers in the Confederate Army and the first box of supplies that they sent to the commissary in Richmond was designated as coming from Station Five. The quartermaster wrote the president of the society that packages would have to be given in the name of some town. The ladies met and agreed to call the town Greenville, as a tribute to Mrs. U.M. Roberts, president of the society, who came from Greenville, South Carolina. The Spanish missions of San Miguel de Asylo and San Mateo de Tolapato were both located near the area.

Back to Map Back to Top