History Happened Here

A campaign commemorating Florida's diverse cities.
Brought to you by the Florida League of Cities.


Hypoluxo

Palm Beach County

Year Founded: 1955

History

The history of Hypoluxo began in 1873 when the lush, beautiful, subtropical climate attracted pioneers interested in farming and those who believed the climate would solve their health problems.

Hypoluxo, meaning “water all ’round, no get out,” was the Indian name used for all the area on the shores of the south end of the lake (now part of the Intracoastal Waterway). An 1841 war department map showed the names of Hypoluxo and Lake Worth for the lake. Subsequently, the lake was named for Colonel William Jerkins Worth of Seminole Indian War fame.

Andrew Garnett came from Kentucky in 1885 to farm and in 1886 became the first postmaster and eventually one of the legendary barefoot mailmen. Thus, Hypoluxo, “Home of the Barefoot Mailman, was established. ER Bradley took the first contract for the walking mail route from Lake Worth to Miami. James Edward Hamilton became the mail carrier in 1887 and was believed to have been attacked by alligators or sharks. He drowned while on duty swimming across the Hillsboro Inlet to retrieve his skiff that someone had moved to the other side. The beach route ended in 1893 and the Hypoluxo post office closed in 1954.

The Lantana-Hypoluxo school was built in 1908 on land offered by Andrew Garnett. The school was discontinued after the 1928 hurricane destroyed the top floor. The one story building is now part of the Manalapan water plant.

John Brown, father of Hypoluxo’s first mayor James Murray Brown, came to the area in 1894 from Dunfermline, Scotland. By 1897 Mr. Brown had built a two-story frame house on the lakefront that he named Scotia Plantation.

James Melton, a noted opera tenor, opened the James Melton Autorama in 1953. Antique cars were displayed along with one of the largest fire engines in the nation. The autorama closed after Mr. Melton’s death in 1961.

A charter incorporating the Town of Hypoluxo was approved July 4, 1955, by the Florida State Legislature. The first Town Hall was in mobile home located near what is now the entrance to the Yacht Club at Hypoluxo. In 1980 an old home was moved to 7010 South U.S. Highway #1, remodeled into office space, named the Kelly Building, (Alfred Kelly, Mayor 1978-1984) and became the second Town Hall for Hypoluxo. The current Town Hall was dedicated in early 1997 and is located at 7580 So. Federal Highway.

The Town of Hypoluxo is 1.35 miles long and about one-half mile wide. It is a small Town within a major metropolitan area. This Town Hall belongs to the residents of Hypoluxo. Enjoy!

History Sources:
“Early Lantana, Her Neighbors and More,” Mary C. Linehan
“Pioneer Daughter, Margaret Garnett Harris

Story of City's Founding

A charter incorporating the Town of Hypoluxo was approved July 4, 1955, by the Florida State Legislature. The first Town Hall was in mobile home located near what is now the entrance to the Yacht Club at Hypoluxo. In 1980 an old home was moved to 7010 South U.S. Highway #1, remodeled into office space, named the Kelly Building, (Alfred Kelly, Mayor 1978-1984) and became the second Town Hall for Hypoluxo. The current Town Hall was dedicated in early 1997 and is located at 7580 So. Federal Highway.

Back to Map Back to Top