A campaign commemorating Florida's diverse cities.
Brought to you by the Florida League of Cities.
One of the earliest pioneers in the area was William Gleason, a New Yorker, who first settled near the Miami River in the late 1860′s. In the 1870′s, Gleason moved his family, along with the area’s only post office, to a location on the western shores of Biscayne Bay, into an area now a part of Miami Shores Village. Another early settler to the area was E.T. Sturtevant of Cleveland, Ohio, whose daughter, Julia Tuttle, would become “the Mother of Miami”.
Miami Shores Village began with a dream in the mid-1920's when South Florida roared. George Merrick created Coral Gables, Carl Fisher built Miami Beach, and developer Hugh Anderson set his sights on what he called Miami Shores. He planned a community of magnificent homes, lushly landscaped streets and world-class recreational facilities, deserving of the title "America's Mediterranean". In 1925, Anderson chose an area that hugged the shores of Biscayne Bay, just north of the City of Miami, with acres of farms, pineapple fields and avocado groves that had been home to pioneers since the 1800's. Anderson's company, known as the Shoreland Company, dredged canals, filled in shoreline, built streets, constructed magnificent homes, installed street lights and started creating its town. Work on what is now known as Biscayne Boulevard (Route 1) began in November, 1925, with construction reaching its peak in 1926, and coinciding with Miami Shores' continued boom until 1926, when a furious hurricane nearly destroyed all of South Florida. Then, any remains of the boom went bust in 1929 when the stock market crashed, yet Miami Shores clung to life. Under the direction of Roy Hawkins, Bessemer Properties took control of the defunct development and in 1931, the State granted the petition of Bessemer Properties to become independent from Miami. On January 2, 1932, the State Legislature approved incorporation as Miami Shores Village, "The Village Beautiful".
Name: Grand Concourse Apartments
Location: 421 Grand Concourse
Historical Significance: Designed by Robert Law Weed, and built in 1925, this structure is the only large, multi-unit building completed in the first phase of development of the Miami Shores project by the Shoreland Company.
Name: Miami Shores Country Club Clubhouse
Location: 10000 Biscayne Boulevard
Historical Significance: Built in 1936, the Clubhouse was constructed as part of the Miami Shores Country Club project funded by a WPA grant.
Name: Community Pump House
Location: 9823 N.E. 4th Avenue
Historical Significance: Built in 1925 by the Shoreland Company as a public service building to house a fire truck and water works facility.