- Madison County
This city was first called Hickstown, after the Seminole Indian Chief John Hicks. Later, it was known as Newton. But, mail kept arriving addressed to Madison C.H., meaning the Court House of Madison County. After the Civil War, the “C.H.” was dropped and the “Madison” was retained. Madison refers to James Madison, the fourth president of the U.S. A little northwest of Madison stood the Spanish mission of Santa Helens de Machaba. The site is on the route of DeSoto and on the upper route of the Old Spanish Trail. Madison was established May 2, 1838 as the county seat of Madison County.