Milton

  • Santa Rosa County
  • Year Founded: 1844

History

The city may have been named for Florida’s Civil War governor, John Milton, or it may be a derivative of an earlier Miltown. Others say the name was derived from Milton Amos, a pioneer and ancestor of the present Amos family. Located in the northwest corner of the state between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach, Milton began in 1825 as a trading post. The area was infested with briers so the nickname of “Scratch Ankle” seemed appropriate. The city was also once known as “Hard Scrabble.” Later, the town became a hub for the area’s great 19th century lumbering boom. Milton is the county seat.