- Volusia County
- Year Founded: 1913
Originally incorporated as the “Town” of Port Orange in 1867, the “City” of Port Orange was chartered in 1925. The owners of the Dun-Lawton plantation with its sugar mill were the first occupants of this site. Indians destroyed it in 1836. In 1861, Edward Archibald McDaniel established a plant here for making salt, boiling water from the Halifax River in kettles formerly used by the sugar mill. The salt was sold to the people of the interior during the Civil War. In 1866, the Florida Land and Lumber Company purchased state land adjoining on the north the property of Bartola Pacetti on Mosquito Inlet and established a village that the company named Port Orange because of the citrus culture it projected.